Home Car Info/Mod List Photos/Project Updates Videos Blog DSM Magazine Archive Other Cars Links
Turbo Upgrade! February 2012

After dragging the old Talon out of the garage last month and driving it more, I got bit by the bug. Oh, you know the one...the "wouldn't 100 more horsepower just be perfect" bug. Yeah, it really sunk it's teeth into me. Truth is, I'd been thinking about re-working and improving a few things under the hood anyway, so a bigger turbo was just a "while you're in there" kinda mod. Well, that's what I keep telling myself, anyway.

So it begins! I started by moving the old workhorse over to the middle bay and getting down to business. Accompanying me on this job was my trusty 13 year old Craftsman mobile toolbox and a little freebie roller cart to keep all of the flying parts organized. Speaking of that, it always makes me crazy when they take off parts and toss them across the shop on those car repair/hot rodding shows. Who does that? You know some poor intern has to pick them up and list them on Ebay moments later. I wonder if they carry on like this at home? I could see them cleaning up after dinner. Let's toss our dirty dishes all the way across the room while laughing like a lunatic!


I live on the edge! I do what I want! "Do not touch" warning label be damned...hmm, do I smell bacon cooking? Anywho, this would be the last time that I saw the stock Mitsu heat shield on my Talon. This is tough for me as I've been running them on all of my 4G63 powered cars since 1999. I love the look of these, it really gives a clean, stock appearance and makes everyone scratch their head when you've just gone over 100mph in the 1/8 mile. But, to take the next step I would have to lose my beloved shield.



Here's something that may help you next time in the garage: put a bit of blue painter's tape on any vacuum or electrical connections that you'll be removing and will need to reconnect later. It is highly visible and you can write on it too. This is especially helpful if the car will be apart for awhile. This has saved me a few times.



The parts are really flying off now! Radiator is out and the turbo is fully exposed to the world.



No turning back now!



Here's my whole turbo setup off of the car and tore apart. The turbo has already found a new home, but the Tial 40mm wastegate will be cleaned up and used on my new setup.



Well that was fast! We now have a big hole in the engine bay waiting for shiny new bits. However, there's tons of turbo-related work to do before then. During this process I plan on switching my water/alcohol injection to a water/methanol mix, I'll be adding a new methanol-friendly resevoir, I'll have to make an entirely new downpipe and turbo discharge pipe, just to name a few tasks. I'm in no big hurry though.



Shortly after the tear-down day, parts started arriving! This was the first to roll in. Let me say, this has got to be the best name for a performance company ever. The UPS man who handed me the box looked at me like I was a mad scientist. I just nodded and winked. Muhahaha! Maybe I'll open up a performance shop and call it Nuclear Seismographical Legislators. That'll look great on a t-shirt!



Here's what was in the box: the ERL cast stainless T3 flanged turbo manifold for the Mitsubishi 4G63 engine. I looked at every T3 header/manifold offering and chose this one for a bunch of reasons such as good fit, budget-friendly price and high strength. Here are a few angles of it.







Here are some comparison shots with my trusty Mitsubishi Evo3 turbo manifold, which has been in service on one vehicle or another since around 2003 with zero issues, cracks, etc. The extended runner length of the ERL manifold offers plenty of block clearance for big frame turbochargers.







A couple days later, more parts arrived! You can't have more air without more fuel, so here we have the Jay Racing Pro Series PT341 fuel pump, fuel pump re-wire kit, Golan -06AN high flow fuel filter, a set of gently used FIC Bluemax 1250cc injectors and the various AN fittings needed.



Yes, I never did the fuel pump re-wire on my old Walbro. Am I lazy or forgetful? Either way it was time and with the help of my giant remote from the late 80s, I whipped up a quick diagram to help with the job.



Now it was time to focus on the other end of the car, one that had been neglected for some time. Open up!



After I pulled out the access panel, the fuel pump hanger lid was staring back at me. The last time I'd been in here (back in 2005) I found a big wasp nest. Thankfully, no critters were living in here this time around.



The old Walbro 255hp fuel pump was out in a matter of minutes. I was amazed how dirty the pre-filter was. Yuck!



Here's the newly ejected Walbro 255 next to the new JayRacing Pro Series PT341. It may look like a mirror image of old Wally, but it flows a bunch more fuel. Oh, and what's the ominous tube, you ask? That would be the vessel that the JayRacing pump arrived in. Let's call it "Ominous Black Tube" from here on out.



The new pump slid right into place with no problems! It's ready to go back in. "Ominous Black Tube" approves of this.



Here's some of my old fuel delivery items that have been excused. The 850cc injectors will be sold, while the fuel filter and line will end up in a storage bin somewhere. Hard to believe I made the power I did through that puny fuel setup! "Ominous Black Tube" chose not to be in this photo, and refused to comment on this.



Up next was a job I absolutely dreaded...working with steel braided hoses and AN fittings. This one went well.



This one didn't. Ugh.



Redemption! Now I've got the hang of it again.



Here's the finished product- a new, high flowing fuel filter and fuel rail feed line assembly to satisfy those thirsty injectors.



That's all for this time, thanks for reading and stay tuned for Part Two coming soon!